Home > Departments > Treasurer > Registering Your Boat

Registering Your Boat

General Information

All vessels powered by motor (gasoline, diesel, or electric), or sail, must be registered and numbered. The State of Kansas does not, however, title watercraft nor does it register or title motors.

Nonresidents using motorboats and sailing boats that are properly registered in another state may use their boats for up to 60 consecutive days without registering their boats in Kansas. Both in-state and out-of-state boats must have their Certificate of Number on board at all times. Boats that are required to be registered must be properly registered before they are operated.

Renewing registrations and the owner of the boat has not changed can be renewed online or in person at a State Park, a Regional Office, or one of our Boat Registration Agents. A registration can be also be renewed by mailing in the renewal notice and $42.50 to the Pratt operations office.

New owners can register their boat online or in person at a State Park, a Regional Office, a Boat Registration Agent or by filling out the Application for Certificate of Number Kansas Boating Act Form and mailing it with proper paperwork and the $42.50 registration fee to:

KDWPT Pratt Operations Office
ATTN: Boat Registration
512 SE 25th Ave.
Pratt, KS 67124 

Please provide a printed photo or pencil tracing of the HIN when registering your boat (New Owner).

All boats manufactured after 1972, should have a Hull Identification Number (HIN) and this HIN will be identified during the boat registration process. The Hull Identification Number (HIN) is a 12-character number that uniquely identifies a boat and is formatted according to US Coast Guard standards.

Hull Identification Numbers (HIN) are typically located:

  • On sport and fishing boats, they can be found on the back right outside corner.
  • On pontoons, they can be found on the right side of the frame above the pontoon, but below the deck.
  • On personal watercrafts, they can be found under the seat as well as on the lip of the footrest.

Vessels manufactured before 1973 often do not have a HIN, so KDWPT will assign one if necessary.  

NOTICE TO ALL BOAT OWNERS: To avoid personal property tax penalties, please be certain to list your watercraft each year with the county appraiser on or before March 15th.


Physical Address

Contact Info